Tuesday, August 23, 2011

The Big Move

As mentioned before we have sold our house in Paulshof and have bought a house in Bryanston close to Saints where Hudson (and Campbell in a few years) will be going to high school - cant believe my baby boy starts high school next year !

Security bars waiting to be installed - hope they know which is which !
We signed the papers on 4 April and it was finally transferred, after many problems and frustrations, on 18 Aug. We were given the keys on 8 Aug to start the renovations and in those 2 weeks we have gutted 5 and a half bathrooms, 3 rooms where we had to put in new ceilings, pulled off all the skirting's, are now changing all the internal doors and handles, painting the whole interior, installed burglar bars throughout, installed 8 (I think) cameras and 2 sensors, tiled 12 rooms (although they are not finished yet and D day is in 3 days), knocked out 2 areas for windows (which haven't arrived), pulled out all the cupboards and carpets, replaced all toilets, baths, taps and basins as well as changed shower sizes !

Burglar bars in TV room
 When I think about what we have done I am convinced that we are crazy - it has been hectic running around buying everything while trying to run a business and look after children who are starting exams in 2 weeks AND Shiella was on leave, which left housework, cooking, cleaning (which Aaron did) as well - and we all know how much I love cooking (NOT).

We start moving boxes over on Thursday and then the rest of the furniture on Saturday.  The bathrooms aren't finished and I am in panic mode.  Shiella's rooms and my office is nearly finished which is a relief as it means something is completed.

Our bathroom vanity
Our bathroom and the boys are still a total mess and we are hoping that the final tiling will be finished tomorrow.  

Boys Bathroom
The house is full of people and I have lost count of how many and who they are - there are plumbers and tilers and painters and carpenters and electricians and to go with it all, so much dust that I have forgotten what the floor looks like ! 

Last week we called someone in to  inspect the roof as its a flat roof to make sure it was in a good state only to find out that the damp wasn't coming from the roof but from the ground underneath the house !  They had to strip walls down to brick and do a whole water proofing thing then plaster them again.

Wet walls being repaired
So the next few days are going to be the worst of all - I need a miracle to get that house sorted in time for us to live in it.  I called in a cleaning company to quote on cleaning everything before we moved and she phoned me back very concerned about the state of the house - I thought it was very funny !

Boys TV room
We are shipping the boys out on Friday night to sleep with friends, and Campbell has a party on Saturday and Hudson is going with friends to a school fete - I cant bear to put them through the move after they have been hauled to tiling and bathroom places for the last 2 weekends.

Our new bathroom window

Hopefully my next blog on the house will be one with pics of finished bathrooms and cupboards etc and furniture in the right places.

Wish us luck as we hit the "moving" road....................

2 comments:

Traci said...

I can't wait to see it!!!!

Carol said...

Hello Sharl..................What can I say? I think 'GOOD LUCK' is too weak a statement at this stage, but you'll know what I mean! As you tell me, "Aaron only wants what's best for you" - and this, if anything, is going to be a test for both of you - as you 'do the best for each other (and the boys)'........ be patient with each other - as difficult as it may seem at this time :)