Saturday, July 4, 2009

Ellis Park

As you know, on Thursday Aaron surprised me with tickets to the final Lions vs SA game !
I have been SO excited and couldn't wait for today - I have never been to a game in a stadium, never mind a Springbok game. We met everyone in Bedfordview and then headed off to the stadium.

There was such an amazing atmosphere, and everything was so organised - officials to help you, police patrolling, and we got free SA flags when we went into the stadium, which was great.

We were booked into a suite for pre-game drinks and lunch and at 14h45 headed off to our seats.

The stadium was pumping and I felt very proud to be a South African - the anthem was sung on top of our voices and the stadium roared when the Bokke ran on.

The game left much to be desired - really don't know what happened today after the last 2 games but hey, at the end of it all, we walked away with the trophy (made and designed by Carrol Boyes, just by the by). I was hoarse from shouting and my flag was definitely used to its full potential ! The Lions played really well and definitely deserved to win this game.
I must say that walking the passages, going back to the suite, was a very quiet walk and the atmosphere was thick with disappointment. But everyone lightened up after a while and enjoyed the rest of the evening.

Walking back to the car afterwards was such an experience. We saw the Bokke getting into their bus, and drive off with police escort. I must say, I definitely have become a bit of a Bok groupy (although I hate to admit it), but there is nothing I can do about it now - the Bokke bug has bitten !
We chatted to people walking along the streets with us, mostly pommies, and it was so lekka. We all congratulated each other, and everyone was in such high spirits. Even walking through JHB centre at night didn't bother us, or anyone else.

So, I will be looking up the next Springbok game and will ensure that I go - we would love to take the boys as I think it would be an awesome experience for them - and I need a bit of support so I am not the only groupy in the family !

I must say that tonight, I am a proud South African, and oh so very patriotic.

Well done Bokke !








No comments: