Wednesday, July 15, 2009

The Merry Crab

Its July school holidays at the moment and we decided that we would take the boys down to Durban for a week. We realized that we hadn't been to Durban for 3 years, so it was definately time for another trip.

We found a place in Munster called the Merry Crab
which is across the road from the beach. (http://www.themerrycrab.co.za/) It was really nice and spacious. We booked 2 inter leading chalets - ours had a bedroom, loung, bathroom and kitchen while the boys was more like a studio.
They were so chuffed to have their own "house" and started to unpacked into their cupboards, and then proceeded to make tea for themselves, so that they could wash their cups in their own kitchen ! It was very sweet, and by the time I got to their room, they had dirtied all the cups and were busy washing them - lets hope that this will last.

We headed straight for the beach although it was after 18h00 but the boys just couldnt wait. We took down a bottle of wine and sat chatting while the boys ran in and out the waves.





The next day we headed off to Port Edward to let the boys have their first ever ride on a supertube. They absolutely loved it and ran up and down going down trying different positions. I felt so bad that they had never been on one but I think the fun they had then defiantely made up for for it.
Unfortunately the rest of the day was spent in the shops, as we had to get groceries and a few other things. The boys were finished and very grumpy to have to spend their first day in Durbs shopping !

When we got back we headed off to the beach again so the boys could run free and get rid of some grumpiness.

On Saturday our Durban friends all arrived to spend the day fishing and then braaing, while watching the Sharks get hammered by the Stormers (of all teams). It was an awesome day of relaxing and chatting and catching up. The kids all got on and played the whole day.

Sunday morning was spent by the boys on the rocks fishing, while I stayed at our chalet reading and catching up on some work.


On Sunday we went through to our JHB friends, who were down in Uvongo for holiday. It was a nice surprise to find out they were down and we went to the beach near them as it was an awesome swimming beach fro the kids.

Although the water was freezing, the kids had a ball as only Vaalie kids can in that temperature water.

We headed back to their place for a braai - the kids played soccer and swam and we ended rolling down their hill in the picnic blanket which was great fun - something I havent done since I was a child !

Monday we decided to go out to the Beaver Creek Coffee farm which was about 20 km from us. We went on the tour which was so interesting - they took you through all the different stages of coffee, from the picking of the beans right through to the roasting and packaging. We stayed there for lunch and bought plenty coffee - go figure !

We decided to go fishing in the afternoon and I went with, with my book with all the intention of reading on the rocks while the boys fished - I didnt even get to open my book as I kept panicking that the boys would get washed off the rocks. Eventually I decided to join them fishing and lo and behold I caught a fish !


There was plenty screaming and jumping around and I think by the time I settled, the whole beach knew I had caught a fish.

Soon after that Campbell caught one, so he was really chuffed - we eventually decided to throw them back into the sea as we didn't think it was right for them to be eaten.

On Tuesday we met up with our JHB friends again for breakfast. The weather was changing for the worst so after breakfast, we took a drive up the coast. We "crossed over the border" into the Eastern Cape - it was so weird.

The boys fell asleep, so we took a drive in to see all the little bays and beaches. When the boys woke we decided, after seeing a place for Go Kart racing, to give it a bash. What a hoot ! The boys absolutley love it !

Campbell crashed into the barrier 3 times, as he drives like a bat out of hell. Hudson nearly lapped him, but on the last lap, Campbell past him just in time to take the flag.

Hudson drove with great precision and style, so we decided that Campbell won by the flag and Hudson won on points.

I went to the balcony to watch and laughed so loudly that everyone up there eventually also watched the boys. They had such fun ! On the way back we stopped for some hot chips and the boys spoke about their race all the way back to the chalet.


We decided to pack up that evening and after packing the car, sat down to taco's and Dennis the Menace.

Wednesday was Aaron's birthday but unfortunatley he spent it driving us back to JHB. We stopped at Montrose and had breakfast at The House of Coffees.

I felt bad that he had to spend the day driving, so I asked the staff at the restuarant to sing happy birthday to him. They brought him a plate with a happy veggie face as they said that they didn't have sparklers like the Spur. Shame, I think he was very embarrassed and even blushed !

We got home in good time, and while the boys stayed at home with Shiella, we headed out to get a few things and to pick up Mia who had been at a cattery for the week. She came bounding over when she heard up and I think she hasn't stopped purring since then.

Problem is that she won't leave me alone now and follows me all over the place - if she cant find me she starts meowing until I get her. She insists on lying on top of me the whole time and even cuddles up in bed. I must say that I am thoroughly enjoying it !

School starts on Monday, but I'm glad that we managed to get in a good holiday filled with many happy fun memories.

1 comment:

sydenham.blog said...

Love your blog. Family holidays are so awesome and that is what life is all about.