Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Baloyi Makarapa

On Monday I took the boys to buy Aaron a birthday present.


Aaron has said he wanted a genuine "Makarapa" but with the amount that are out there now, I dont know what is real and what isn't, so I thought I would go directly to the factory and get one.

For those who don't know what a Makarapa is, it is basically a miners hat that has figures cut out of it and painted accordingly - I have attached a link at the end of the blog for you to find out more about this amazing man who created this.

We headed off to Wynberg and found the factory.

There is a whole display room where you can choose your Makarapa, so we chose one personally made and signed by Baloyi Makarapa - a more genuine one you couldn't find !


They took us through to the factory to have a look at how they were made, and it was quite amazing that these people who have never had a job or have no skills, sit there and paint the most amazing things.


They have a picture in front of them and they copy that.  It was very interesting to see, and the boys were hugely impressed with the guys and their painting.


The story of this guy is amazing - read it and see.......http://www.makarapa.co.za/index.cfm?page=6


So now Aaron has a genuine hand made and personally signed Makarapa from Baloyi Makarapa !

1 comment:

WARREN and TRACI Lotter ________________ said...

How cool!! I'd love to visit that place.