Thursday, June 10, 2010

Tick in the Wars

Poor Tick has been in the wars lately.

Last week Monday (the first day of Hudson's exams) he was playing rugby with Zoe in the garden, and bent over to get the rugby ball and Zoe ran straight into him - he bite the inside of his cheek and I though it was just that until he opened his mouth !


He had bitten through the inside of his cheek from the corner of his mouth to halfway across his cheek.  There was so much blood with it being a mouth wound - I threw a hand towel at him to hold over his mouth, instructed Hudson to tackle his Afrikaans and History revision for his exam the next day, got Shiella back in to watch Hudson and headed off to Sunninghill emergency.


He fell asleep while we waited for the doctor - the doctor took one look at him and announced that stitches were in order. This started Campbell off again and his cries increased when the needle came out for the injection.  They injected 3 or 4 times into his cheek - I lost count as the more I watched, the more dizzy I got, and I didn't think it would be too helpful for Campbell if I past out on the bed with him.

He had 3 stitches and when we left he told me that he was very brave and should get a "bravery award".  Being the softy I am when it comes to my boys getting hurt, he got to choose something from the chemist at the hospital - he was actually very brave - there is NO WAY I would have let them inject into my cheek without a fight.


We headed off home after the prize giving.  The next morning when he woke he looked like a chipmunk.  He went to school and I dropped off some "food" for him during the day as he couldn't eat, so it was jellies, custard, yoghurt and slushies for lunch and supper for the next 3 days.

His face continued to swell, so on Wednesday I took him back to the hospital to find out that the wound had become infected, so he was given antibiotics and creams and warned that if it didn't clear, it would cause an absys which would have to be lanced !  He ensured that all medicines were taken on time every day !


Just as he started to recover, he managed to slam his finger in Aarons car door - so hard that we thought it was broken as it was definately skew and very swollen.  He was SO upset about it - it wasn't broken, thank goodness, and the swelling went down after about 2 days but the bruising remained.

On Tuesday this week I got a call from the school to say that Campbell was playing on the field at break and was "knocked out" !  I hit a panic and rushed off to the school to fetch him.  He was in the sick room and couldn't really remember anything but said that his friend told him that another child he was playing with had tripped and knocked him over but landed on Campbell's head and literally knocked him out. 

His friend wasn't sure how long he was out for but when he woke he was dizzy and had a headache.  Off to the Dr we went again and he checked him out and suggested we go for a CAT scan  - apparently this is required if you pass out and have certain symtoms.

The CAT scan was clear but he did have a mild concusion, so although we went to watch Hudson play the rugby finals, he stayed close to me and remained very quiet and still - no running on with the kicking tee and water bottles at half time much to his disgust.

He had a good sleep and woke up the next morning clear headed and no longer dizzy, which was great !




Wednesday was the last day of school and was a short day so with no injuries.

My nerves are finished with this child and I am seriously thinking of buying lots of bubble wrap and cotton wool...............

No comments: