Thursday, November 3, 2011

A Proud Mom

I am just so proud of my boys - having the privilege of being at most of their matches and practice sessions, I get to watch them under pressure and in difficult circumstances, and usually hold my breathe waiting to see the outcome.

Hudson has a short fuse and there have been times in some rugby matches that I thought things would go pear shaped, but he has always managed to keep his temper in control, and when I chat to him afterwards and ask what happened and what he did about it, he has always said "mom I won't punch - I just tackle harder the next time and that usually puts them in their place". 

This week during a cricket match, the other school was batting and the batter was on 49 runs and was caught out.  He was devastated and when he took his helmet off I saw tears rolling down his cheeks.  Hudson was fielding right on the line (sorry don't know all the terminology) and walked across the field to the batter, put his arm around him, and walked him off the field while talking to him and patting him on the back.

I was the proudest mother there and I have to admit that I wiped away a tear or two !

Campbell is the same on the rugby field - He is always the one who helps get someone to their feet after a hard tackle (usually one that he has done) and encourages them to keep going, and when we score and we try and convert, he is the one standing with the kicker and always puts his arm around them whether they get the kick or not and walks them back to the rest of team.

On the cricket field he is always waiting for his batter when they come off, whether they have had a good session or not, and pats them on their back and puts his arm around them chatting all the time.

They may not be the best players on the field, but they are my boys and I am a very proud mom because of them.

No comments: