Friday, October 9, 2009

Long weekend with Crows

During the September school holidays we decided to head out to the Lodge with friends of ours, the Crows.

We left after school on the Wednesday (Thursday was a public holiday) and arrived there early evening.We though we were in for a cold and rainy weekend only to be pleasantly surprised by hot days and absolutely no rain ! The wind was a bit hectic but that goes with the territory.

The Crows only joined us from the Friday so we spent some time checking up on the trees we had planted, pulling weeds from amongst flowers and moving rocks.

Campbell lifted a rock and told Aaron that he thought he had found a snake. We all laughed it off saying it was an earthworm but on checking a little closer, discovered that he was right - it was a snake.


Now for the life of me I cannot remember the name - Burrowing (something) Asp. Basically not deadly but have very sharp teeth and if bitten, you have nausea, headaches, dizziness etc. It was only a baby but I am sure it would have hurt had it bitten.


There was plenty shrieking and teasing afterwards. I went to go fetch my camera but when I got back it was gone which freaked me out a bit, so that part of the "garden" was avoided for the rest of the time we were there.

I went out one morning to get cell phone signal and as normal, went out in my pj's which is what I have always done (no one can really see into the landy as its higher than the other cars so it never bothered me). Well this time I headed off and got signal and sorted everything else out and on the way back, the landy just stopped ! Here I was sitting on a dust road with no signal (it stopped in a dip - go figure) in my pj's and slippers.


I walked into the bush and found a rock which I climbed on to get some signal and called the club house to ask them to come and help me - I warned them I was in my pj's so they didn't get a fright when they got there ! Andre (who is one of the young guys) pitched to help and I was SO embarrassed (as was he I am sure) so now I will NEVER go and get signal again without getting dressed first. It was very funny afterwards.


Now not to bore you as every time we go to the lodge it is the same thing - we go horse riding through the reserve, swimming in Diesel pool, sitting around on the patio relaxing and chatting etc which is exactly what we did this time again.

When leaving the Diesel pool we saw a really beautiful water buck hiding in the bushes. We sat and watch him for a while and it was amazing how camouflaged he was.


The boys decided that they wanted to make their own fire outside so we allocated them a safe part away from the house and long grass and they had a ball. They built a fire every night and sat around it and we also joined in. We have now decided to build an outside lapa for exactly this and for star gazing. It will probably be on the koppie above the house so we will have an awesome view across the reserve at night and the stars out there are just amazing.

They set up the tent (inside again thanks to Mr Orpen who told story's about the headless British soldier roaming Doornkop, which they still haven't forgotten !) and had such fun. Why they insist on sleeping on the floor when they have very comfy bed to sleep in still beats me but it obviously is a boy thing).

Aaron taught Campbell how to use his katti - they bought them a while ago and the have to stay at the lodge so the boys don't get too much practise. They set up a targets and by the end of it they were doing quite well.It was a great weekend and we had time to relax and chat and take some time out so thanks to the Crows for the lekka weekend.